Monday, August 31, 2026

Song Spotlight: Small Shake's Toxic (a night at Zebulon)

Opening up for Johanna Samuels' recent Zebulon record release party (presented by Sid the Cat) for her album Sorry, Kid was Small Shake (fronted by Aarin Wright). I covered the night for US Rocker Music should you be interested in reading the review. Why the name Small Shake? According to her brief Spotify bio, she's into sweet cakes and milkshakes. 

Small Shake at Zebulon
Small Shake at Zebulon

What is the very first thing I noticed about the band? They have a devoted following. Their fans hugged the front of the stage. And when the set ended, the band got an extended cheer. Afterwards, those same fans moved over to the merch table, creating a line that lasted until Zelma Stone started their set. One reason why I noticed that was because I wanted the band's set list for my US Rocker Music review (as well as this one). I did finally get the setlist after Zelma Stone's set ended. 

Small Shake at Zebulon
Small Shake at Zebulon

I wrote the following in my US Rocker Music review, but I want to repeat it here as I found it a fun observation. The band's bassist was Genevieve Quiquivix who also plays guitar for Taleen Kali. Small Shake is a folk band while Taleen Kali is a punk band. Quiquivix gives Taleen Kali a heightened degree of energy with her style of play. You can't exactly play the same way for a folk band. Yet, for one song, Small Shake did switch to a rock sound and Quiquivix went into action. I noticed Wright give an amused side eye.

Small Shake at Zebulon
Small Shake at Zebulon

The song spotlight goes to the song "Toxic." The song had people dancing to the melodies of the tune. The band's bandcamp says it is "for when your friend won't stop dating shitty men." Or as was said at a set I recently saw after this Zebulon night, "about when you're really trying to convince your friend to stop dating shitty men, and to start dating you instead."

And life is only fun in the arms of your friends

Setlist: Veruca, Montana Dream Wife, Tally, Elementary Hill, My Moon, Lucky, Toxic.

No comments: