Saturday, August 22, 2026

Song Spotlight: Dominique Matelson's Hop (a night at Zebulon)

Over a month had passed since I last went to Zebulon. That was a long gap and it needed to end. I noticed that there was a free night that featured Dominique Matelson. She was celebrating the upcoming release of her third studio album The Difficult Way. I had never seen her before. Nor had I heard of the other two singers that were in support. Did that give me any pause about going? Of course, not. It instead piqued my interested. 

Dominique Matelson at Zebulon
Dominique Matelson at Zebulon

I knew rather quickly that I had made the right decision, because I immediately recognized two members of her band. On saxophone was Nick Flessa who I just recently highlighted in one of my Song Spotlight posts. On violin was Pauline Lay who may very well have a longer history in the Los Angeles music scene than I do. I first crossed paths with her when there was a band called Moses Campbell. That band was fronted by Sean Solomon and spawned the band Fashion Club.  

If you're unfamiliar with her music, as I was, her bandcamp bio has the following description, "improvisational and experimental leanings to traditional pop songwriting" with influences from "Jane Siberry, Tori Amos, Nico, and Enya."  
  
Nick Flessa and Pauline Lay supporting Dominique Matelson at Zebulon
Nick Flessa and Pauline Lay supporting Dominique Matelson at Zebulon

Her setlist included all the songs from the album, played in order. I always figure, if possible, that is a way an album release party should be done. "I Could Hold the Sea" is a song that has that Enya influence. "With My Voice" highlighted her operatic vocal talents. "Revelations" had Caribbean influences. 

Comment of the set: That's what I wanted you to say. 

What I noticed: based on the song, one backing musician switched between drums and the upright bass.

Dominique Matelson at Zebulon
Dominique Matelson at Zebulon

The song spotlight goes to "Hop." A song that has a fairy tale beginning with quiet spoken word singing that springs to life with magical twists. The percussions add a otherworldly quality. The lyrics are meant to inspire one to imagine the magical moments of life.

So perfectly I land without disturbing the beauty.      

Setlist: How Can I Be Your Way, I Could Hold The Sea, Imitate It, With My Voice, Revelations, The Difficult Way, Hop.

No comments: