Pillow Fight didn't bring any pillows to Rocknite's showcase at The Airliner Bar, but their lo-fi, garage rock set more than entertained. I have to say that lead singer-guitarist Adam Stafford made the move of the night by reaching up to a stage light and angling it from stage-center to stage-left. The reason it was the move of the night was because all three bands featured co-lead vocalists and all three bands avoided the middle of the stage. So it helped out the photographers (there were three of us out on this particular night) for the whole night.
| Pillow Fight at The Airliner Bar |
I've seen Pillow Fight a couple times previously starting in 2024. I've also seen their sister band The Freebies that features Brenna Limón (bassist for Pillow Fight) taking lead vocal duties while Stafford takes on the drums. I also know that they organized a stage at Echo Park Rising in 2025. I missed their set, but did stop by to catch Toulouse Control. It was the most unique stage of the festival. The bands performed on a truck bed that was parked in front of Fluffy McCloud's.
Comment of the set: I can't hear the kick.
The band started off their set a few minutes late. Brenna Limón came rushing into the venue with her bass. I do believe I over-heard mention, "She's parking her car." I'm just going to speculate that it was all due to having to work later than anticipated (or traffic being worse than expected). The working life, you've got to love it. It sabotages what we really want to do in life (or the positive spin being that it gives us the money to pursue what we want to do in life).
| Pillow Fight at The Airliner Bar |
Comment of the set 2: We won them back after that mess.
The band is playing a San Francisco festival called SF Bay Popfest, which is going on from August 20th - August 23rd. That comment #2 was made after they sang a song inspired by the festival called "San Francisco Bay Pop." It didn't go as well as they hoped, but their next song "One of a Kind" had the crowd forming a mosh pop. The band ended the night in fine fashion with "Heart Games." The mosh pit gave the band a jolt of energy and they put on a fun stage show.
The song spotlight goes to "Jean Said." Per their Instagram page, the song is a queer love song. The name Jean was selected as it is gender neutral. Is it a love song or a heartbreak / breakup song? "Jean did the heartbreaking in the song . . . "
| Pillow Fight at The Airliner Bar |
Jean said let's try it again.
Setlist: I'll Do Anything, High Center Love Songs, Dreams Come True, Jean Said, Secret Crush, Open Up, San Francisco Bay Pop, One of a Kind, Heart Games.
No comments:
Post a Comment