Prior to a couple months before Shonen Knife's set at The United Theater on Broadway, I was unaware of the band. Their PR reached out to me and asked if I was interested in covering the set. Even though I had never heard of the band, I was immediately interested. It was driven by two reasons. First, they're a Japanese band and I'm of Japanese heritage. Second, they were rocking out with Toad the Wet Sprocket and Men at Work. Those are two bands that are familiar to me. In fact, Toad the Wet Sprocket's music makes up the soundtrack of my youth.
| Shonen Knife at The United Theater on Broadway |
If interested in a review of the night, I wrote up an article for US Rocker Music.
Shonen Knife's set was just an over-all fun set. That is the point of their music. Their music and fashion is inspired by the 1960s. To emphasize the point, the trio wore matching geometrical outfits. The band started up in 1981, but that didn't mean that children won't connect with the music. In fact, two young children (brought along by their mother or maybe grandmother) were dancing it up in the aisle.
| Shonen Knife at The United Theater on Broadway |
Many of their songs are just about every day enjoyments that sometimes just include the mundane. One might describe them as the Seinfeld of pop-punk music.
As an example, my song spotlight goes to "SUSHI BAR SONG." The song just lists off all their favorite types of sushi. There is a nice deeper meaning in all of it, which you can also find in Seinfeld. It is a song about having good friends or a good lover.
| Shonen Knife at The United Theater on Broadway |
I wanna go with you
Setlist: Buttercup (I’m a Super Girl), Twisted Barbie, Flying Jelly Attack, Vamos Taquitos, Sushi Bar Song, Sweet Candy Power, Banana Chips, Riding on the Rocket, Antonio Baka Guy.
No comments:
Post a Comment