Tuesday, August 11, 2026

Song Spotlight: Sugermill Slim's Family Affair (a night at The Den Studios)

The Bluesadelic Sessions put on a showcase at The Den Studios with the headliner being One Tribe Nation, fronted by Living Colour's Corey Glover. Starting off the night was glam blues band Sugarmill Slim (fronted by Anders LaSource). This wasn't my first time coming across the band. I previously saw the band back in 2023 at Zebulon. I knew I was in for some good music. I'm not sure all were convinced about the music; however. There was The Den Studios' dog that was hanging out (Brisket, I do believe). For a portion of the set, the dog sat in the middle of the floor, facing the band. Yet, the dog seemed to be mesmerized by his toy. 

Sugarmill Slim at The Den Studios
Sugarmill Slim at The Den Studios

This was my first time at The Den Studios though I had heard of the music production studio before. It was nearly a year ago that they were one of the Echo Park Rising stages. The Doohickeys were hosting the stage and they're one of my favorite bands, but it was just too far away from the other stages for me to head out there (I was doing photography for the festival). Nearly a year later, I finally made it over. It is a nice space just across from a park that I've never heard of: Vista Hermosa Natural Park. I'll need to head over to that park some day. It looks to be situation in the perfect spot to take photos of DTLA.

Brisket at The Den Studios
Brisket at The Den Studios

The dog might not have been all that impressed by Sugarmill Slim, but the crowd had a different opinion. With a David Bowie fashion sense, LaSource seemed to float across the carpeted stage. She took the blues and turned it into a sensation. The make love, not war 60s feel of the stage added a bit of flair to it all.

And hey, how many harmonicas can a person have? At the front of the stage was an open case with perhaps 20 to 25 harmonicas inside. She knew exactly what harmonica to pull for each song. I noticed for one song, there was a finger searching for a harmonica and once found, it was grabbed.   

Sugarmill Slim at The Den Studios
Sugarmill Slim at The Den Studios

The song spotlight goes to "Family Affair" about unreciprocated feelings. The title says it. She is smitten by a specific individual. The individual's family loves LaSource, but it just isn't happening as hoped.   

Because your family loves me now tell me why can't you.

Is that a song that required a few hard stomps on the floor while playing the harmonica? You bet. 

Sugarmill Slim at The Den Studios
Sugarmill Slim at The Den Studios

Setlist: I Got A Man, Family Affair, Double Dipping, The Only Fool, Comin' Down (Jackie Shane cover), Dancing on Heartbreak, Leaving Trunk.

No comments: