Monday, August 10, 2026

Song Spotlight: Gracie and Rachel's WTF (a night at Permanent Records Roadhouse)

I had the opportunity to cover Gracie and Rachel for US Rocker Music for their recent set at Permanent Records Roadhouse (presented by Sid the Cat). I had not previously heard of the band before when I received the invite to cover the band (as is often the case for me). I took a listen to maybe one or two of their songs and agreed to cover the set. I liked their self described chamber pop tunes. It kind of reminded me of the soundtrack to a minimalist movie set out in nature, far from the population centers. 

Gracie and Rachel at Permanent Records Roadhouse
Gracie and Rachel at Permanent Records Roadhouse

Basically, my only knowledge of the band was based on a couple songs. The first thing I noticed was that their fan base was up close prior to the start of the set. I was "stuck" at the center of the stage to do my photography. Just due to my height, I tend to try and stay away from the center of the stage -- especially at Permanent Records Roadhouse where the stage is level with the floor. I hate blocking the view. Yet, there I was. I also noticed that the four members of the band (Gracie Coates and Rachel Ruggles along with two band mates on drums and guitar) were all dressed in white. This is going to be a soothing night of music. That was my opinion. And hey, it really was. 

Gracie and Rachel at Permanent Records Roadhouse
Gracie and Rachel at Permanent Records Roadhouse

I have to give praise to Ruggles. She was the MVP of the night. I do think she had the most to do on stage. She switched off between guitar and violin throughout the set as well as having shared vocal duties. She also had a couple pedals that were on either side of her. In between songs, I would notice her having to turn left to tap one set of pedals and then turn right to tap the other pedals.    

My song spotlight goes to the opening song of the set (as well as the opening track to their recent album release If We Could, Would We) "WTF." What does WTF stand for? The obvious What the fuck. Did it fit with the soothing night of music I was expecting? It may sound strange, but yes. They sang it like it was a line of poetry. 

Gracie and Rachel at Permanent Records Roadhouse
Gracie and Rachel at Permanent Records Roadhouse

The world is sometimes (always) upside down and you’ve just got to sing out WTF. Do you need to scream it out in anger? Or are there other constructive ways to deal with what the world throws at you? At least based on how they incorporate the phase in their song, I would say they are looking for constructive solutions.

But no one's home when I'm spiraling.  

Gracie and Rachel Setlist: WTF, How Can I, Leaving Home Is Going Home, Green Light, Underneath, Undertow, Caroline, Run Dry, Water, Myself Again. Encore: Call Away.

No comments: