Worthitpurchase (the duo of Nicole Rowe and Omar Akrouche) came through The Airliner Bar for a Rocknite showcase. They were playing songs off their upcoming album. They mentioned that they just finished mixing the album that will be called Near Life Experiences. Akrouche gave a chuckle after making the announcement and Rowe responded, "Let us know in the comments if that is a stupid name." Someone in the crowd yelled out an alternative suggestion of Near Life Compilations. So are they set with the album title? The chuckle has me thinking there is a chance they were telling a joke. I guess we'll find out shortly.
| Worthitpurchase at The Airliner Bar |
Per the band's bio, the duo started in 2019 while working together at Tiny Telephone Recording in San Francisco. They mention that they had some "nocturnal sessions" at the recording studio. That reminds me of stories I've heard told of how Los Angeles musicians got their music out into the world. They are a self-described experimental band with a touch, I would say, of shoegaze.
What did I notice: well, I'm always into taking photos of setlists to help with my writing. Akrouche's setlist was written in scribble while Rowe's setlist was written in block letters.
Maybe due to their recording studio backgrounds, the band took time making sure their guitar and bass were tuned. There were some long periods of silence. To insert the necessary joke, Akrouche told the audience, "I'd like to shout out our guitar tech. Me!" Someone in the audience gave them the courtesy laugh. Rowe's ears perked up on that and responded to the laugh, "Thanks, we're here all night."
| Worthitpurchase at The Airliner Bar |
Their website bio is a detailed account of their life as a band and inspirations, but their Spotify bio has the short description, "kmart surrealism." Are they even old enough to remember Kmart? (Apparently, the Kmart brand is still going strong in Australia.) Or is this an ever so slightly different take on the philosophical thought behind Near Life Experiences?
Once the band finished playing songs from their upcoming album, the crowd cheered loudly for an encore song. The band asked if that was okay and the sound guy gave them the green light. They ended the night with a song from their self-titled third album "Lakeshore." It was a song that I noticed was in the middle of their setlist, but they cut it to focus on new material. A song tinged with reflection about leaving behind the innocent years of childhood, "How we used to be."
| Worthitpurchase at The Airliner Bar |
The song spotlight goes to their latest single release "Postcard" that I'm guessing will be on their upcoming album. The song has a bedroom tone in both the singing and the musical arrangement. Near Life Experiences? I think they're ready to drop the near and jump into life.
Like everything just happens by design.
Setlist: Closed, Born, Swim, Postcard, Laws, The Sky and The Stars, Lakeshore.
No comments:
Post a Comment