Palindrome singer Easae (moniker for Marissa Barbalato) took to the Bar Lubitsch stage for a WFNM showcase night. This was my third time catching a set. I saw a couple sets in 2024 at Hotel Ziggy. Of course, I had to take a look and listen to those prior performances. My amusing take on what I noticed as being different between 2024 and 2026? For both 2024 sets, she did an old school MTV Unplugged performance where she was sitting on a high chair. This time around, the high chair was gone. It meant that those vocals came out all the more powerful.
| Easae at Bar Lubitsch |
As I was doing my Internet research for this blog post, I happened to notice that she's a member of Mosaic (or at least tangentially associated). Early last year, I happened to catch RIAH who is the music director at Mosaic and I wrote a song spotlight about her song "Prom." The Mosaic crowd was out in force to support both Easae and fellow Mosaic member Dennis Linggar. It was an all ages (excluding the under-21) crowd.
| Easae at Bar Lubitsch |
The indie pop vocalist started off the night with "What's It Like." It was a song that highlighted her vocal talents. One could hear throughout the set, people showing their amazement, "Wow."
What did I notice: She does have a poker tell when it comes to her set. Whenever it was time to give her two bandmates some music direction, she'd turn her back to the audience.
| Easae at Bar Lubitsch |
The moment of the set? It can't be the song spotlight, but a memorable moment was when she told the audience, "We're going to make up a song." She did something that I see only once every 5 years or so. She asked the crowd to throw out words and phrases. Words such as Amazing, Epic, London, Magic, and Whimsy were yelled out. She went with the phrase Salt of the Earth. A nod to Mosaic there. "Talk amongst yourself," she told the audience. As conversations started between friends, she turned to her band and gave them the beat. She then spent a minute or two off to the side, coming up with her freestyle lyrics. When she was ready, her friends gave the "Shh!" sound and she performed her just created song. A high pressure moment and everyone loved it.
| Easae at Bar Lubitsch |
The song spotlight goes to "Dear God." Her friends yelled out their support. It was needed as the song is dedicated to her brother (the story is in the link) who passed away in 2020.
I heard you went to the park to get your mind off things
Setlist: What's It Like, Dear God, Sparks (Coldplay cover), Crash, Salt of the Earth, Orbiter (Noah Kahan cover).
No comments:
Post a Comment