Thursday, January 14, 2010

Queen Kwong, The Monthlies and Obi Best @ Spaceland

Off to Spaceland I went to see Queen Kwong. This is one of those bands that I keep tabs on. The last time I saw them was back in May 09 so it was definitely time to check them out again. The set started off with Carre (the ‘e’ has that backwards ` -- sorry, I don’t know the appropriate word description – but I don’t know how to type that letter on my keyboard) Callaway going solo and then her two bandmates going on stage moments later. A fabulous set, I loved every minute of it. I will have to check out this band more than once every six months.

Observations: At one point, I swear, Carre was emotionally tied to her guitar, tender touches. And the door guy and ticket lady came inside the venue at times to listen to her set.

Comment made: I’m either getting taller or this microphone stand is shrinking.

Apology: So I had a short conversation with the ex-roommate of Carre. Sorry, I’m not one who can carry on long conversations, didn’t mean to be rude.

Twitter: I catch Carre's tweets every so often via myspace. Fun to read.








Next up were The Monthlies, another band I head out to see. I noticed a violinist tuning on stage. Yes, I love strings in bands and so I couldn't wait for their set to start. Anyways, their set was great, as always. I invited a friend to come out. He didn’t make it in time to catch Queen Kwong, but he did arrive in time to see The Monthlies. He really liked them at all.

Observations: The violinist joined the band for their last song. They seemed to have some technical difficulties. One of their friends kept on going up to the stage, fiddling with Jana’s (guitar) sound equipment. It was also Jana’s birthday.

Comment made: We’ll play faster songs till the end.







The final band of the night was Obi Best. I’d call them an experimental band. At times, they were using three keyboards/synthesizers.

Observations: For one song, they had a Boy’s Choir. Okay, really just four guys. At one point, one of the band members noticed a spider. The lead singer went over and held the spider thread and moved the spider to the edge of the stage, doing this all calm – contrast this with the band member who didn’t want the spider anywhere near her. At the end of their set, the lead singer said, “Thank You and Good Night,” and then they all left the stage. I was thinking that this was rather sudden. An encore was demanded and so they came out to one last song.

Comment made: The economy stinks now. Don’t you wish instead of using currency, we could replace it with class?



If you keep up with my columns on intraffik, you may know that I wrote something up previously on Queen Kwong and The Monthlies over on that site. Check out those two columns if you haven’t already read them -- if you've already read them, feel free to re-read them.

No comments: