Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Movie Review: Princess and the Frog

"The Princess and the Frog."

This is a lovely movie. Here's my quick basic outline: Time frame around War World I. A young lady (Tiana) is brought up dreaming of having a middle class life. She believes you get there by hard work. Via her hard work, she is very close to having enough money to start her dream restaurant. This is where life goes a bit topsy-turvy. A young prince (Prince Naveen) has been turned into a frog by an evil voodoo man (Dr. Facilier). Prince Naveen (as a frog) convinces Tiana to give him a kiss. Bad move, she also turns into a frog. Off they must go to find a good voodoo woman (Mama Odie). Along the way they run into an alligator (Louis) and a firefly (Ray) who decide to take up their cause. They are directed to head back to the city, because Prince Naveen needs to kiss a Princess (Charlotte, Tiana's friend who is New Orlean's princess for the night.)

Here's my thoughts:

I love how this movie deals with the color scheme for the daytime and the nighttime. Skin colors change. Clothing color change. Maybe I'm making a bigger deal out of this than I should.

I love how even the spoiled child (Charlotte) was treated in a good light. She definitely isn't the normal evil spoiled child. She is still a true friend to Tiana even though they're obviously in different social classes.

I thought the end game for Dr. Facilier was a bit scary -- not for me, but for kids under the age of 7. If I saw his death at that age, I'd have nightmares.

It sounded like most of the audience clapped at the end of the movie. Well deserved.

No comments: