Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Hundred Days, Bathroom Murders and The Mulhollands @ Club Moscow

It was an interesting night at Club Moscow with a nice variety of musical styles. Nearly everyone should have seen a band that met their musical style.

First up was The Hundred Days. They hail from San Francisco. I’m betting they could fit in just great at Spaceland. Interestingly, they started to play just as people were being allowed inside. When they started to play, there actually might have been more people waiting in line than those inside the venue. Sorry, but Club Moscow should have opened the doors five minutes earlier or given The Hundred Days a slightly delayed start time. Too bad more folks didn't get to see them.





The next band up was Bathroom Murders. They had a huge sign that they hoisted above the stage. I have to say that initially I had no clue what it said. I couldn’t read it, honestly. It said, “Bathroom Murders,” but for the life of me I wouldn’t have known that except for the fact that they mentioned their band name. (This may be a sign that I'm getting old.) They could probably fit in perfectly at a club attended by various Hollywood starlets. Their set was fun and they pumped up the audience. I loved the fact that they had a song called “Freaks Come Out At Night.” I say this band is like Michael Buffer (“Let’s Get Ready to Rumble” fame), pumping you up for thirty minutes of mad dancing.









My final band of the night was The Mulhollands. They had some technical problems that made watching their set-up amusing. Sarah Jeanette was trying to get the microphones set-up. The wires weren’t reaching across the stage. Jeff on bass was having issues plugging into the right socket. And then when they started their set, their new guitarist, Taylor, had wire/pedal board problems. These are the occasional problems that one hits when being in a band. It doesn’t matter, of course, to me. I thought they were awesome. A number of their friends were up close to the stage. Sarah Jeanette was looking rather sophisticated. Murray on guitar was playing rather dramatically. And The Mulhollands' sound: sweet vocals backed up by a pop-rock sound.











I am always amazed by how quickly bands at Club Moscow switch in and out. If you took a stopwatch out, I'm betting the switchover is quicker at Club Moscow than any other music venue.

No comments: