Nymphlord (moniker for Tia Rabinovitz) closed out a Make Out Music showcase at The Airliner Bar. Including Nymphlord, this night was a both a flash-back, anticipated, and unexpected night. I circled the date, because I'll show you magic was on the bill. I saw them earlier in the year and became an immediate fan. The flashback happened when I talked to Gigi after the set. You'll have to click on that link to read the story. The unexpected happened when Nymphlord hit the stage. This was my first time seeing the band and I didn't do any research on the band prior to heading out. I made an assumption based on the band's name on what I might expect to hear. I honestly was expecting a sound similar either Patriarchy or Lord Friday the 13th. I was in for a surprise as the sound was, using her own description, "angsty, ethereal, dissonant and hopeful." In some ways, it was a flash back moment, as well, as the music reminded me of Happy Hollows (circa 2009).
| Nymphlord at The Airliner Bar |
Interesting coincidence (for me only, perhaps): back in May, Nymphlord was playing a set at Zebulon while I was at The Airliner Bar. This was my first time seeing Nymphlord and I caught the set at The Airliner Bar. I admit it, a totally useless fact.
| Nymphlord at The Airliner Bar |
The band played their debut album Shedding Velvet front to back. Throughout the ethereal set that glided between pop, rock, and country influences were lyrics that were political in a late night opening monologue fashion. The first song of the set "Garden" had the lyrics "But my brother is an anarchist." A song that highlights how many in the indie Los Angeles music scene (be it musicians and even photographers) live: a life in the cubicle while spending non-work hours pursuing artistic endeavors. She tossed out a couple shakers to those at the front of the stage for her song "Candy." A song about everyone's one wealthy friend and has the lyrics "Ex President Bush in his cheerleading fit."
So it didn't make it into the lyrics, but cyclospora / explosive diarrhea made it into the conversation. She loves her salad and she mentioned that her co-workers were looking at her weird as she was eating.
| Nymphlord at The Airliner Bar |
She ended her set with "Stinks 4 Lyfe" which is the first single she ever released back in 2023. A song that starts with spoken word lyrics before exploding into a headbanging rocker. A nice way to end a set.
The song spotlight goes to "Paper or Plastic" -- a song that has a Happy Hollows singing style. You might want to live life according to your values, but being perfectly aligned is rather difficult.
| Nymphlord at The Airliner Bar |
What's the difference if she's gotta have it?
Setlist: Garden, Candy, Deep Cut, Summer '03, Star, Emptiness, Paper or Plastic, Filter, Abyss, Good Time Diner, Stinks 4 Lyfe.
No comments:
Post a Comment