I first came across Megan Winsor in 2023 at a WFNM night so I was familiar with her sound when I recently showed up at Bar Lubitsch for a WFNM showcase. I was expecting to hear a singer-songwriter set. I was in for a surprise from the now Nashville based artist's set. There was a set within a set performance where she brought up her band mates from Girlstupid. The trio performed three songs. It was a pleasant surprise, because I was aware of the band and had wanted to catch a set back in 2025, but had a conflict. The trio is rounded out with Diana Thale (in 2025, I wrote a Song Spotlight article) and the artist that goes by Yugs.
| Girlstupid at Bar Lubitsch |
Winsor has a songwriter skill to write catchy choruses. She had two songs that got the crowd singing along. Her opening song "Freedom is a Bullet" had her friends singing the chorus "Freedom is a bullet." It is kind of a depressing song, but sing away they all did. There is a uniqueness to the song where she inserts the spoken word. Her most recent released song "Post-Credit Movie Scene" had the filling up venue singing along, as well. It has an addicting hook that shows her continued growth as a singer-songwriter.
| Megan Winsor at Bar Lubitsch |
She mentioned during the set that coming back to Los Angeles had an interesting familiarity. Her favorite bartender was still working at a specific bar, which resulted in free drinks.
Her song "come around again" was about a relationship that went south. She mentioned that she doesn't mention his name in the song, but the guy recognized that the song was about him. He didn't exactly appreciate it. She does put her feelings into her lyrics. For her final song "Austin," she mentioned that some of her friends decided to go into careers such as nursing while she chose a songwriter life. One must say, finding financial stability is far easier as a nurse than a songwriter. She mentioned that after hearing the song, her mother asked if they were okay in their mother-daughter relationship. Perhaps lines like this resulted in the conversation, "You made it clear I should want her life."
| Megan Winsor at Bar Lubitsch |
There are some heavy topics in her lyrics. I don't necessary think the Girlstupid trio goes into lighter topics, but they sure had fun on stage. So the Song Spotlight goes to "The Beans." The trio's folk sound had me thinking of a past favorite band, Fresh Hot Waffles (I believe they band has ended their run). A nice mix of comedic humor and great vocals.
| Girlstupid at Bar Lubitsch |
You're better off alone
Setlist: Freedom is a Bullet, Humdingin', The Beans, Killer, Post-Credit Movie Scene, come around again, Austin.
No comments:
Post a Comment