Thursday, July 23, 2026

Song Spotlight: Jake Manzi's The Trouble (a night at The Airliner Bar)

Jake Manzi dropped by The Airliner Bar on a recent Rocknite showcase night. He's an Americana musician from Western Massachusetts who now lives in Los Angeles and he recently released a new album titled Getting Somewhere. His official record release party was scheduled for the following week at The Kibitz Room, but it did feel like this was a sneak preview set as he played the first six tracks from the album. I think one can also call a practice run on his part as he had a full backing band of 5 musicians that included keyboards, steel guitar, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, bass, and drums. 

Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar
Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar

His bio has the following description about the album, ". . . Getting Somewhere takes us through winding roads with plenty of detours, landing in a place of quiet confidence, truehearted and speckled with delightful imperfections."

Prior to playing through the tracks from his recent album, he opened up the night with "Get Along" from he sophomore album Here She Comes. It was a rousing way to kick off the night. His song "I Believe Kate" was about a friend from Virginia. She's the sweetest girl I know. He added to the sound of the band by playing harmonica on the tune. After playing his song "It's Northampton," where he is from along with a couple other members of his band, someone in the crowd yelled out, "You guys sound f*cking fantastic." Manzi responded by saying, "That's a real live review. We don't need Google for that." He closed out the night with the dreamy tender title tracked of his debut album Whatever My Heart Allows.     

Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar
Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar

It was, as indicated by Manzi's on subtle shoe tapping, a toe-tapping night of music.

What did I notice: During the set, Connor “Catfish” Gallaher was tucked away in the back. From my position, he was often blocked from view. When he did pop into view, I saw him playing the steel guitar. After the set, I noticed that he had the most gear of any of the members of the band. Not only did he have his steel guitar, but two other guitars, as well. He had additional gear to add on top of it all. He required a cart to haul all his gear. 

Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar
Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar

The song spotlight goes to "The Trouble." Is life perfect when someone is near and falls apart when the person is far away? A tale of an off and on relationship? It's the lead track off the album and is an Americana tune that glides through a slow-burn ache.  

Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar
Jake Manzi at The Airliner Bar

Yeah, you don’t know the trouble I’m in
‘Cause when you go my trouble begins

Setlist: Get Along, The Trouble, Don't Leave So Late, I Believe Kate, Still Love That Girl, It's Northampton, You Come Around, Whatever My Heart Allows.

No comments: