I do love Americana-country music, but I specifically went out to School Night (a collaboration between Make Out Music and KCRW at The Airliner Bar) to catch one of my favorite Los Angeles based rock bands, Bruvvy. I did a quick listen to the other two artists and noticed that they were both country singer-songwriters. I thought that was rather amusing and even mentioned it to Bruvvy's lead singer Liz Varum. One has to put trust into the brain trust behind School Night and their genre mixing, because Macy Todd is making my 2026 annual list of favorite new finds.
| Macy Todd at The Airliner Bar |
Prior to the set, I noticed her standing off stage, talking with a trio of friends and taking photos with them. She was in a cheery mood. When the clock clicked 10 p.m., she went up on stage. Her Southern accent gave notice that this was going to be country set, "How are we LA?"
She largely focused on songs from her recently released EP pretty ruthless, playing all six songs. She opened it up with the lead single from the EP, "mean!" Those same trio of friends were singing along. She mentioned that she is currently based in Nashville, "Give it up for Nashville, I guess." She's moved around some in her life. She mentioned that she grew up in Atlanta. She recently spent 3 years living in Austin. Her family has since moved to Colorado. She mentioned that her siblings are having kids and she's doing music. One might think that a song titled "love of my life" was about a lover, but it is a song about her family.
| Macy Todd at The Airliner Bar |
Comment of the set while tuning for "so ruthless" that showed her multitasking abilities: Are you going to list to my EP? It's good enough for jazz.
No comments:
Post a Comment