Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Zig Zags and Bowery Beasts at Silverlake Lounge

It was off to Silverlake Lounge to catch the Zig Zags and Bowery Beasts. It was one of those nights where I wasn’t sure where I was going to go. Honey Honey was playing at Bootleg and I do love Honey Honey; however, I decided at the last moment not to go to Bootleg. I figured I’ve seen them plenty and they are playing all of March. I decided I would catch them on another Monday night (probably this coming Monday) and make sure on this particular Monday that I would catch one of the other residency bands. So I considered The Echo and Satellite. I’ve seen Spirit Vine before so I wasn’t in an urge to rush over to The Echo. I’ve never seen The Living Things, but I’m not so keen on one of bands that was on the bill – I won’t say which one. So after all that thought, I decided to head to Silverlake Lounge.

The first thing one has to mention is the fact that it was one windy night. The wind was howling around my apartment complex.

When I arrived at Silverlake Lounge around 9:45 p.m., the place was empty. I was thinking that it was perhaps the weather. Zig Zags at the time was setting up for their set. They’re a two piece set: a guitarist and a drummer. Both take turns on vocals. They put on quite a set. Thrilling. By the time their set was finished, the place had filled up nicely. Bowery Beasts is the residency band for March. I guess what first caught my attention was their dress. Some in tight jeans. Others not. Some wearing western-inspired garb, others not. Some in boots, others wearing athletic shoes. Just a mix and match of styles. They gave a set that energized the women in front.

Interest observation. One of the bartenders came out in front of the stage. Bowery Beasts had a photographer. The photographer seemed to believe that the bartender was not pleased with him. When the bartender went back to the bar, the photographer headed over to see what was going on. I’m not sure what the conversation was regarding. Anyways, the photographer continued to take pictures afterwards. Probably some misunderstanding.

Comment of the night (Bowery Beasts): You guys are a beautiful beautiful BEAUTIFUL crowd tonight.

Zig Zags





Bowery Beasts





No comments: