Wednesday, March 23, 2011

A first half of a week

I'm watching football (so you know this is a little dated) on a Sunday. My refrigerator started to make some weird sounding noises. I decided to turn it off and turn it back on to see what might happen. It sounded like it was back to normal. Than I started hearing clicking sounds every couple minutes. Great. It is breaking down. I open the freezer and I could tell it was dying. Death of a refrigerator. After the game, I rush to Best Buy. Since I live in a small apartment, I don't have a large space for a refrigerator so I had about three selections to pick from. That made life easy. I made a decision and was out in about 15 minutes and went back home to catch the second game.

I was told that my refrigerator would be delivered on Wednesday. I would have preferred a delivery say on Monday, but it was what it was and luckily I didn't have much food that needed to be tossed in the first place.

Tuesday came around and I took my car to the mechanic. I didn't think much of it. I just want my rear brakes replaced. The mechanic called me up saying I had a cracked such and such. I'm a bit skeptical, thinking he's just trying to milk me for some money, but it is only $90 so I say go ahead and fix it.

I picked up my car and drove home. Well, I wasn't in the mood to cook anything since if I had any leftovers I couldn't exactly put it inside the refrigerator so I went off in search of the Kogi BBQ food truck. When I came back, I saw this pool of oil on the ground of my carport. What?!? I opened my car hood and there was oil all over the place. Great.

Wednesday arrives and I take my car back to the mechanic. Now this is also the day my refrigerator is supposed to be delivered. On Tuesday, I'd gotten a call saying my refrigerator would be delivered between 11 am and 3 p.m. Now considering that I am just down the street from Best Buy I had a suspicion that I'd be close to the top of the list.

I'm not too concerned on Wednesday. I figured, I'd drop my car off at 8:30 a.m. and then take the bus back to Glendale. Now I had two options. I decided to take the option where I'd only have to take one bus versus making a connection. In my mind, I figured that would make life simpler. Admittedly, the one bus route meant a longer walk to my apartment, but I figured it'd make up for the concern about missing the connection.

Before heading off to the mechanic, I knew the bus would come by at around 9:50 a.m. and I would get to the Los Feliz/Riverside around 10:30 and from there I figured I could make a 30 minute walk to my apartment. Maybe I'd be a little late, but not too late.

Now I did make it to the mechanic just fine and he was totally understanding and agreed to fix the mess. Cool. Now it was time for the bus and here is where the plans sort of fell apart. The bus didn't arrive till 10:00 a.m. And even with minimal traffic, it took an extra 10 minutes to get to my stop. So I arrived at around 10:50 a.m. I start walking as fast as possible. Come 11 a.m., I decide I better call to say I'm running late, but while I'm calling they're calling me. The delivery guys are at my house: 11 a.m. sharp. Mercy. I'm told they'll wait only 15 minutes. I can't live without a refrigerator for another day. I start running. 11:10 a.m. hits and I'm probably 5 to 10 minutes out. I call again and plead that they stick around for 20 minutes. The lady on the other line says she'll see what she can do. I'm running, walking, running as fast as I can. I see the truck. They're about to give up on me. I wave from about 100 yards away. I get my refrigerator. If everything had worked out just fine, I would have been on time or maybe no less than 5 minutes late.

And since my car is at the mechanics (near my work), I take a quick shower and then walk back to the bus stop where I proceed to wait 30 minutes for a bus, because I misread the schedule about when the bus would arrive.

No comments: