Monday, March 7, 2011

Great Northern, Sabrosa Purr and Moving Picture Show at Bootleg

It was off to Bootleg to catch Moving Picture Show, Sabrosa Purr and Great Northern. I have to say what a night. First off were two bands I hadn't seen in more than two years: Moving Picture Show and Sabrosa Purr. I remember the first time I saw Moving Picture Show back in March 2008. I wrote the following on my old myspace blog, "The next band up was Moving Picture Show, which started their set off as a high school drum line. It was an interesting entrance. I think their bass player has experience in line dancing. " Who can possibly forget an entrance like that. They didn't do the high school drum line this time around, but did open by banging away on a marching band drum. For some reason, I seem to remember a female keyboardist back in 2008. I could be wrong about that memory as it was close to three years ago.

I saw Sabrosa Purr back in September 2008. I wrote the following on the old myspace blog, "Sabrosa Purr was up next. I loved their sound . . . I'd call them orchestral rock. The band is two guitar players and a drummer -- no bass." Those are some old memories. As for Sabrosa Purr, for some reason I remember an all guy band, but I could be wrong on that one, as well. Anyways, they are now a four piece band with two female band members. Amazing how time flies.

I've wanted to catch both bands since 2008, but never got around to it. Both put on amazing sets.

Comment of the night: Big sweaty hugs, they're only fifty cents after the show.

The comment was made by the lead singer of Sabrosa Purr who soon after went to hug his bassist. I wonder how she felt about that.

As for Great Northern . . . well, the first time I saw them was at the Eagle Rock Music Festival when they opened up for Monsters are Waiting. Of course, it didn't take me as long to see them a second time or a third and fourth and fifth. As always, I loved their set.

Moving Picture Show


Sabrosa Purr



Great Northern





No comments: