Saturday, March 19, 2011

A Movie Revie: Secretariat

Secretariat. The first thing I thought about when seeing this movie was to compare it to Seabiscuit. Though it has been awhile since I saw Seabiscuit, I say that movie ranks high above Secretariat. Secretariat isn’t a bad movie; however. I enjoyed it. The movie is highlighted by Diane Lane (Penny Chenery) as a woman determined to keep her father’s legacy alive. She makes an all in bet and wins. And considering that she was playing in a world dominated by men, it was all the more impressive.

I did do some research on the movie. There are some discrepancies between reality and the movie screen. I'd say nothing too big here.

Paul Feliciano, Secretariat’s first jockey, lasted two races, not one.

In the Wood Memorial where Sham comes into the picture, Sham finished second, not first. Secretariat came in third.

And though it didn’t seem to be emphasized in the movie, Sham faded to last in the Belmont. The jockey ran his horse too hard keeping up with Secretariat.

No comments: