Saturday, September 26, 2026

Song Spotlight: Petie's 1953 (a night at Bar Lubitsch)

Towards the end of the WFNM showcase set, Petie (moniker for Lily Dowling) mentioned that this was her first set in three years. Let's hope that one does not need to wait another 3 years to catch another Petie set, because she had Bar Lubitsch popping during her set. She's a Berklee College of Music graduate, but she mentioned that she didn't learn anything as she didn't pay attention in her classes. I don't know about that or she learned through osmosis.   

Petie at Bar Lubitsch
Petie at Bar Lubitsch

Her set included 4 songs off her debut album. Sometimes I just head out without listening to the music of those performing. For this particular night, I did check out her Spotify account. There are a handful of songs on the album that I'd just like to mention that weren't performed on this particular night. The opening track "cameron diaz" is a song about self doubt. And well, she does look like Cameron Diaz, just saying. The song "h8 the club." is a song that could very well be played in a club and those in the VIP section might just not know it is about them. And people are "looking at me" because maybe they are hoping she is Cameron Diaz. Most everyone at the club is just superficial, looking for a famous best friend that can help them climb the social media ladder. Seemingly also inspired by the club seen, "diet coke" talks about being the odd person out. Both "h8 the club." and "diet coke" indicate her love of photography so I have to give her a shoutout on that one.    

Petie at Bar Lubitsch
Petie at Bar Lubitsch

Dowling may have some antagonistic feelings towards the VIP section of a club, but she does not wish to be poor forever. Her unreleased song "Uncle!" had her saying that she wants to be f*cking famous, "I want to be known." She laughed about the fact that her other unreleased song "Eat Shit and Die" was a song where she was slowing it down. 

Comment of the set: I'm going to make it f*cking weird.   

I know she said that "WOOF!" was her favorite song off the album, but I'm going with a different option for my Song Spotlight. Her opening song "1953" had me immediately sold. Yes, I was already partially sold by listening to her music beforehand, but that song had me all in. It also had me flashbacking to the much maligned Sucker Punch, which I personally loved. I don't know what that says about me. 

Petie at Bar Lubitsch
Petie at Bar Lubitsch

A song about dealing with a year that has fallen apart. Getting fired from a job. Getting bad advice. A person who was seen as having it all together until she doesn't. And why was I thinking about Sucker Punch during the song? Because back in 1953, she would be:

I'm a prime candidate
For a lobotomy   

Setlist: 1953, gutterballs, WOOF!, eat shit and die, housewife, Uncle!

No comments: