Saturday, September 5, 2026

Song Spotlight: Mimi Pretend's Baby Blue (a night at The Airliner Bar)

Mimi Pretend (moniker for Miriam Nissan) closed out a great night of music at The Airliner Bar (a Rocknite showcase event). The night included Katrina Weissman and Small Shake. With this post, I've written up articles on all three. So yeah, it was a great night of music and not just for me. All three had the crowd pressed close to the stage. When I see something like that, I feel like it validates my music tastes. 

Mimi Pretend at The Airliner Bar
Mimi Pretend at The Airliner Bar

The band's Spotify bio has this brief sentence fragment, "Music for the girls of Twin Peaks to break hearts to." That (all honestly) connection to Twin Peaks was my first thoughts while they began their set. My other thought was that Nissan's vocals had a Mazzy Star inspiration. 

Comment of the set: It's so hot in here. Thanks for sticking it out.

Bad assumption on my part. As her band finished up each song, Nissan would make her way to the side of the stage. I was thinking, maybe there is an air conditioning vent over in that direction and she's cooling off. Maybe there was an air conditioning vent in that area, but I did later notice that she was starting up the tracks. The tracks came into play as the set was coming to conclusion when they started off the wrong track, which had a way too cheery sound as compared to the moody atmosphere of the set. 

Comment of the set 2: I've never been this sweaty in a show ever. 

Mimi Pretend at The Airliner Bar
Mimi Pretend at The Airliner Bar

I happened to take the day off work and was driving around doing errands that had built up. My timing aligned to when a lot of the local kids were heading off to school. I was already burning up (and I am someone who is chilly when it is in the 70s) and I was seeing a number of them wearing sweaters. I was thinking, aren't they sweating up a storm. That is what most of us were doing in the Airliner Bar on this particular night. The venue did have the air conditioning on. I occasionally felt a cool breeze hitting me. There was just no way to keep the venue cool. 

What did I notice. The band's friends crowded the front of the stage. Smiles, acknowledgements, photo taking and laugher were all happening right there. 

What did I notice 2. The band focused their set on new material with only two of the songs currently out on the web. Next to Nissan's feet was a journal. For the song "Killing Mood" (that was the song where a more cheerful track was accidentally played for a brief moment), the journal was picked up. It was explained that it was a diary that was found. The song had her singing a passage from the diary.  

Mimi Pretend at The Airliner Bar
Mimi Pretend at The Airliner Bar

The song spotlight goes "Baby Blue." A song about being in love with someone who has a "blue" personality, which likely contrasts with the writer of the song (Nissan) and it just does not matter at all. It is their latest release and does have the Twin Peaks / Mazzy Star combo with a splattering of country. If a love song is going to be a bit moody, you've got to have country in the mix. 

100 different lifetimes I choose you.

Setlist: Good Company, Baby Blue, Cowboy, Knees, TV Poker Machine, Killing Mood, Horses.

No comments: