Ali Blake was the opening act at the Bigfoot Lodge for a recent Americana Joy showcase. She's a Chicago native who currently lives in Atwater Village so perhaps she walked over to the venue to play her set. Her bio describes her music as "Inspired by the natural world, the human experience, and a wide range of artists from Etta James to Fiona Apple, there is always a soulfulness that comes through."
| Ali Blake at the Bigfoot Lodge |
Comment of the set: Chill the f*ck out and be kind to each other.
What did I notice? For her Patsy Cline cover of "Crazy," she kept the beat with a jar filled with rice. The song was written by Willie Nelson. As a side note, I recently saw his movie Honeysuckle Rose that has him singing a number of songs (including edited duets with Emmylou Harris). The movie is probably best known for the original song "On the Road Again."
| Ali Blake at the Bigfoot Lodge |
Another comment of the set: This stool is really heavy.
Another moment I noticed? When her vocals soared for "On the Other Side," the crowd cheered.
The song spotlight goes to her recent release "Arrow." On Instagram she mentions that the song was written over a decade ago. A song about learning that the time is now to figure out your personal philosophy and goals: aim the arrow high and see where it takes you. A personal journey of growing and learning and not being discouraged if you need to do so again and again.
| Ali Blake at the Bigfoot Lodge |
I thought that I would know so much by now.
Setlist: Here Today, Gone Tomorrow. Forevermore. Crazy (Patsy Cline cover). Step Into the Night. On the Other Side. I'll Be Your Baby Tonight. Arrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment