Friday, September 4, 2026

Song Spotlight: Kingstarlight's Daytrip (a night at Hotel Ziggy)

Sometimes I just can't make it from my work to a WFNM showcase at Hotel Ziggy in time to catch the full set of the opening band / artist. That was the case for Kingstarlight (moniker for Julian Bell) where I missed the first song of the set. When I walked into the venue, the vibes of the set got my pulse racing. I squeezed through the crowd to get to a spot to take my photos and enjoyed the rest of the set. 

Kingstarlight at Hotel Ziggy
Kingstarlight at Hotel Ziggy

Per his Spotify bio, he's taken all the music that has impacted his life and combined it into what he calls "all-spice." It is "a blend of genres that refuses to settle, rooted in the tactile grit of guitar-driven music but reaching far beyond it." 

In July, he released his debut album Sound to System. He mentioned that he was playing the album from front to back so I would assume he opened up the night with the title track of the album. A song that sounds like it was meant for that dramatic-emotional moment in a motion picture. He played a solo set with backing tracks and an electric guitar. His denim attire projected a blue collar aesthetic. Yet, his falsetto vocals gave his songs a dance-pop vibe. 

Kingstarlight at Hotel Ziggy
Kingstarlight at Hotel Ziggy

He mentioned that his favorite song off the album is "Kickflip" as it was the song that was written the quickest -- musicians, he added, would understand his sentiments. A song about the difficulties of wanting to be a musician and maybe just wondering about other paths in life, "You make a billion dollars a year doing real estate development." 

I'll give the song spotlight to "Daytrip." It has an 80s R&B sound that includes silky vocals. It all fits perfectly for a song about falling deeper and deeper in love while wondering if the other person feels the same.

Kingstarlight at Hotel Ziggy
Kingstarlight at Hotel Ziggy

My heart it grew
Just like a root
Underneath a tree    
 

Partial Setlist: Sound to System, Clouds, Daytrip, Slow Curve, Kickflip, Maybe I Think Too Much, Runway To The Stars, Bet On Red. 

No comments: