Tuesday, September 8, 2026

Song Spotlight: BEL's Fresh Start (an evening at Echo Park Rising, The Echo stage)

Friday was the kick-off night for Echo Park Rising and BEL (Isabel Whelan's mononym) was headlining The Echo stage. My fading memory had me thinking that I came across her once at WFNM. Taking a more careful look, I realized that it was in fact at the Silverlake Lounge back in 2022 when she played with one of my favorite singers Gracie GrayHer bio describes her music as a blend of "a folk songwriter's heart with the alluring polish of a classic pop artist." 

BEL at Echo Park Rising
BEL at Echo Park Rising

One thing I noticed that was very similar between 2022 and 2026 was the enthusiasm of her fan base. I re-watched a video I took at that 2022 set. The video was of her song "PBR." During moments of the performance, I could hear the crowd singing louder than BEL. Back to 2026, and her song "Carry Me to Bed" had the packed house singing along. Not only were they singing, but dancing, as well. When she gave a long scream at the end of the title track of her recent album Holy Grail, the crowd joined in with joy. When she asked the crowd to jump with her for "Fresh Start," everyone enthusiastically followed her request, "That was so great." 

BEL at Echo Park Rising
BEL at Echo Park Rising

She is one who gives props to her upbringing. She grew up near Fresno and her country tune "Lights" was dedicated to the music that is loved in the city. Her mother is Argentinian and the song "Amor" was a bilingual tune that honored her mother. She believes in manifesting. She stated with belief that her song "Parachute" was behind her bringing a dream to reality, "I manifested love with it."    
 
BEL at Echo Park Rising
BEL at Echo Park Rising

Comment of the set: More bass in the house.

The song spotlight goes to "Fresh Start." A catchy pop tun that hooks you in from the start -- and, as mentioned, had the crowd jumping. A song about moving from Fresno to Los Angeles and missing a close friend or family member? And still feeling disoriented after three years in LA? 

BEL at Echo Park Rising
BEL at Echo Park Rising

You could stay at my house
And I'll give you the good pillow

Setlist: I Want, Carry Me to Bed, Read Between, Holy Grail, Fresh Start, Lights, Only Want You, Cold Brew, Parachute, Amor, Party Tricks, American Dream, Are You Okay?

No comments: