Monday, September 7, 2026

Song Spotlight: Creakbed's over again (an evening at Echo Park Rising, The Echo stage)

It was off to Echo Park Rising with my press pass. Though the festival was advertised as a Saturday / Sunday event, there was a Friday evening kick off that featured the core stages of Sticky Rice, The Echo, and The Semi-Tropic. I made it a three day celebration of the Los Angeles music scene and was off in search of bands to feature in my Song Spotlight articles. As soon as I heard Creakbed over at The Echo, I knew two things right off the bat. I planned on including them on my annual list of favorite discovered bands and I had found the first band of the festival for a Song Spotlight write-up. 

Creakbed at Echo Park Rising
Creakbed at Echo Park Rising

The band, led by Elliot Gorham, centers it's music on an alternative rock sound that reminds one of Peach Pit. Taking a look at Gorham's Youtube page, the earliest videos features a mixture of jazz and folk tunes. Those beginning inspirations has helped create the foundation for thoughtful compositions that fit perfectly with Gorham's bedroom vocals. 

The band took the stage at 5:50 p.m. and had a decent crowd show up (those who had skipped out of work early or taken the day off work -- like myself). The band's rock jams had the crowd cheering and happy that they had arrived for the early set. 

Creakbed at Echo Park Rising
Creakbed at Echo Park Rising

It was announced that this was bassist Matt Wilson's last show. Looking a little sheepish, Wilson responded with the clarification that he is moving.  

The song spotlight goes to "over again." I love the melody of the song. I've listened to the song a number of times and there is a newness to the song each time. A discovery of a new music note here and there, all wrapped up in just 2 minutes and 15 seconds. A song about conversations and memories and money and wishing one would recognize their worth as a human being.

Creakbed at Echo Park Rising
Creakbed at Echo Park Rising

I've only said what's been said before
"You deserve more"

Partial Setlist: >_<, drain, sex dream, aux.

No comments: