Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Derby Dolls: LA vs SD Exhibition Bout

Headed off to the Derby Dolls with a friend. It was a rainy day.

It being an Exhibition, there were Derby Dolls playing from various teams.

Some of my favorite Derby Dolls were playing, however.

Laguna Beyatch
Krissy Krash
Stefcon
Sarkastika (I don't know if she's a favorite, as she does play for San Diego).

It was a sold out event.

It looked like a large section of the Derby was set aside for fans from San Diego.

I was on the floor so it was a bit difficult to see everything. There were a few times when the teams were on the far side that I thought a jammer had fallen and instead the jammer had somehow broken though the pack.

San Diego won the match. Not sure what the final score was. It was probably 105-90. The game ended in a San Diego power jam.

The score wasn't a blow out, but it felt like me that San Diego controlled the game.

Los Angeles did have a relatively large lead at half time, but that was due mostly to San Diego penalties. Los Angeles probably scored 50% of their points via power jams.

When the teams were even, San Diego had some three-point arrow defense that the Los Angeles jammers just couldn't push past. Favorite player Laguna Beyatch was pretty much helpless when being the jammer.

Where I was standing, there was Derby Doll from another team. I didn't talk to her, but my friend had a nice conversation with her.

As I've done in the past, after the bout ended, I went to the railing and got to give Laguna Beyatch a hand slap.

Note: White Girl Tamale Maker had a stand there. I first had her tamales at the International Tamale festival a year ago. I had another. Awesome.

2 comments:

STEFCON 1 said...

That section of fans were our March RADness campers … and we had flat track trainers and campers mixed in on both teams.

We were all pretty tired from 3 days of Derby Camp … hence I enjoyed blocking & cheering that night.

Notes from Vivace said...

Thanks for the comment, Stefcon.