Thursday, March 25, 2010

A Movie Review: The Runaways

The Runaways. I found myself totally involved in the telling of this story. This is a true story about the rise and fall of an all-girl rock band. The band included Joan Jett (Kristen Stewart), Cheri Currie (Dakota Fanning), Lita Ford (Scout Taylor-Compton) and Sandy West (Stella Maeve). The band also included a bassist, but since the real band had multiple bassists during its short life the movie doesn’t focus all that much on this individual. Actually, Lita Ford is given rather little film time considering the fact that she had a solid music career post-The Runaways.

From my understanding, I got to listen in on a Q&A with Cheri Currie, the film is rather accurate. Obviously, when you are condensing two years into 90 minutes you have to take certain liberties such as not having a rotating bassist. Other disconnects that I learned in the Q&A: The film shows Joan Jett meeting Cheri Currie at Rodney Bingernheimer’s club. Cheri stated they met at an all ages club in the Valley. Also, Cheri left the band during a photo shoot, not during a rehearsal session as depicted in the movie. (Hopefully, that isn’t considered a spoiler as it isn’t like one doesn’t know that the band breaks up in the end.)

This film doesn’t back down from the drugs and sex of rock and roll. You see Joan Jett and Cheri Currie taking too many drugs throughout the film. It actually made me squirm a bit at moments as I am definitely not one to take drugs. You are also provided glimpses into the relationship between Joan Jett and Cheri Currie.

What did I enjoy about the movie?

I love seeing the band working out their sound.

Kim Fowley (Michael Shannon) is just crazy.

You see how Joan Jett is driven and Cheri Currie is looking more for an escape.

I loved when Rodney Bingenheimer is interviewing Joan Jett. I’ve seen Rodney around various locations and the mannerisms were rather accurate.

Kristen Stewart is obviously awesome in this movie.

What did I not like about this movie?

Since the band only lasted a few years, they did rise to fame rather quickly, but I wish the various steps were more defined. You have them forming the group. You have them practicing. You have them going on road tours playing at skating rings. Suddenly you have them opening for bigger bands. Then they get signed. Then they’re off to Japan. You do have that progression in the movie, but I didn’t feel like there was enough explanations associated with each step. I don't think these steps even needed to be part of the film. They could have been quick notes sprawled on the screen.

No comments: