Thursday, September 3, 2009

A Movie Review: Funny People

"Funny People." I was looking forward to this movie. From what I could tell, reviews were relatively positive though I did read complaints about the length of the movie and the use of Judd Apatow's wife. And before I actually saw the movie, I knew that it wasn't meant to deliver 140 minutes of humor.

I have to say I liked the movie though there are some weaknesses; therefore, I didn't love the movie. One weakness I'd say was the last 30-40 minutes where Judd Apatow's wife becomes more of a central character. I don't think the weakness is due to her acting. I think the weakness is due to the lack of character clarification. I could actually understand why George Simmons (Adam Sandler) would cheat on her. In the film, George explains that he cheated because he had too much temptation around him. I'd argue that it was because Laura (Leslie Mann) was too clingy and made rather impulsive decisions. She was a bit annoying. The other weakness is the Ira Wright (Seth Rogen) character. I think he was a bit conniving and I wish this was explored more in the sense that George learned that Ira shut out his friend Leo Koenig (Jonah Hill) from helping write jokes for George.

I honestly didn't see it as a downer movie. Obviously, for portions of the movie, you see George being extremely depressed but you also see moments of understated humor tied to those moments.

There is an element of drama to the movie. For example, you see George struggling and you almost expect him to fully breakdown, but he is able to hold it together.

You also see moments where the more veteran comedian provides these reflections and advice to the younger comedian, very mentor-ish moments.

No comments: