Tuesday, September 8, 2009

LA County Fair 2009

A friend of mine sent out an e-mail asking if anyone was interested in going to the LA County Fair. For Labor Day weekend, it was only $1 if you got there before 1 p.m. Twelve of us took her up on her suggestion even though I think some of us were skeptical about how much fun we'd have. We took off around 11 a.m. on Labor Day from Hollywood and got inside the fair grounds at about 12:45 p.m. The traffic wasn't that bad until we got to about a mile from the Fairplex exit then it slowed down to a snail's pace.



Parking was $10. There were three different parking options: general, preferred and VIP. I'm not sure if we parked in the correct location. Oh well, at least we didn't get a ticket. It wasn't like the directions were all that clear. It is possible that we parked in the location for fair workers.



Luckily, the late-August/early-September heat wave had passed, so the temperatures were in the high 80s, low 90s. Not that bad, but as soon as we arrived, we headed indoors as quickly as possible. First, though, we saw some horses in stalls that seemed really tight as compared to the size of the horses.




After that, we headed inside for awhile. Below are a couple table settings, but there were also baked goods, jewelry, paintings, photography, etc.








We eventually headed back outside, but it was still hot. It was probably around 2-ish. The one cool thing about Labor Day weekend was that all 22-ounce sodas were only $1 until 4 p.m. Not very many food stands advertised this; however. We just luckily came across one food stand that advertised this. I have to say I half expected them to fill the cups with ice, but the various food stands were cool and filled the cups mostly with soda or lemonade (in my case.)

Around 3 p.m. we saw the pig races. Interesting note: the guy in charge asked for kids to volunteer to help lead cheers for specific pigs. I heard one individual say, "He's only picking girls." So true. He had five jobs to hand out and all went to girls versus boys.





After the pig races, we went out to get some food. We broke up into two groups. I got a vegi-burrito for $6. We then just sat in the shade for awhile. While the group I was hanging with hung out in the shade, I went around the corner and saw a blacksmith pounding away on some iron. Interesting, though not thrilling. What I found most fascinating was noticing how this whole thing was built on the back of a truck. What an interesting sight to see on a freeway.




We decided to start moving around 4:30 p.m. It actually was starting to cool down around this time. We found this Angel below.



We then came across this dog show. Nice action shot.




We then decided to try our hand at some games. I won't post any photos since the photos would be of my various friends. I'm not sure they'd want to show up on the Internet. We had some fun doing that.


To end the day, we went on the hunt for some deep fried Snickers and Twinkies. We all decided to wait till the end of the day for fear that we might get sick. A number of us tried the Snickers. None of us ate a whole Snickers. We all split the Snickers three ways. We then headed off to another food stand where some folks tried deep fried Twinkies. I shared deep fried avocados with a couple friends. I wasn't all that impressed with the avocados. I was also irritated that a Snickers was only $3.75, but the avocados were like $7.75. Give me a break. You can buy avocados for like $0.75 while a Snickers is about the same price. Why the price difference? I wouldn't have minded trying the Twinkies but I'm not sure that having both Snickers and Twinkies on the same night would have been a good idea.


We took off at around 8 p.m. By this time, the fair was emptying out.


Was it worth it? I've never gone to the LA County Fair so it was worth going for the experience and paying $1 for admission. Would I consider paying the full price, $17? Probably not. To me, considering that you have to pay for parking, food, games, rides; I consider it a bit of a rip off. But honestly, I don't really care all that much about seeing farm animals and baked goods. Maybe if I had kids I'd find it more enjoyable looking at all of what the fair had to offer through their eyes. Admittedly, though, I've always wanted to try a deep fried Snickers or Twinkies so I did finally get my chance. (Note: they also had Krispy Kreme chicken sandwiches and deep fried Oreos.)

No comments: