Monday, September 14, 2009

Montebello: some news about a city I used to live in

Some news in the LA Times about a city I used to live in (“Foes in Montebello project dispute find common ground: City Hall turmoil,” Louis Sahagun, 14 Sep 2009): Developers and environmentalists at odds over a plan to transform Montebello's last stretch of undeveloped highlands into a $500-million housing project have found common ground in at least one area: the instability at Montebello City Hall. At stake is the future of 488 acres of rugged open space in the Eastside suburb. Today, the land is an active oil field and refuge for the largest population of threatened California gnatcatchers in Los Angeles County . . . The development plan calls for adding housing for 4,000 in a city struggling with aging sewers and roads, a stagnant economy and a dearth of parkland for its 62,000 residents.

My comments: I lived in Montebello for a number of years. I’d say yes they don’t have very many parks, but I never thought the roads were aging. I will say the electricity went out probably once every two or three months in my apartment complex. I thought it was a pleasant enough city. I moved to get closer to work and friends.

No comments: