Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lucy Schwartz, Raining Jane, Melineh Kurdian, EZ Tiger and Ingenue at M Bar

It was off to the M Bar for Rock N’ Roll Camp for Girls L.A. Holiday Party. Now I personally have no connection with the Rock N’ Roll Camp other than knowing a couple of the people involved with the camp so I was there to support the fundraiser.

One of my recent music addictions Lucy Schwartz was on the bill and one of my friends suggested that I check out Raining Jane.

The opening act got stuck in traffic while heading up from San Diego so Melineh Kurdian was up first. A few Armenian jokes were tossed out and a pleasant Hotel Café environment was provided. Next up was EZ Tiger. I saw them previously at Rob Z’s show. Actually, for that show, they were raising funds for the Rock N’ Roll Camp. They switched the atmosphere away from the Hotel Café scene to a more rock-centric environment.

And then favorite Lucy Schwartz hit the stage with a 4-song mini-set. (All the bands did 4 or 5 song mini-sets.) She forgot to bring her keyboard along so it was vocals with a cajon drum and guitarist. One song was done a cappella. A brilliant idea hit me during her set: Diane Birch and Lucy Schwartz should do a concert together in Los Angeles. I think that sounds awesome -- dualing pianist. (I admit I'm trying to think of a possible reason for Diane Birch to come back out to Los Angeles.)

Raining Jane was up next. This was the first time I’ve seen them though they’ve been around for a few years. A beautifully understated sound.

And to round out the night for me, Ingenue hit the stage. I do believe they played with the Dollyrots one night and I either showed up too late to see them or didn’t see the Dollyrots on that occasion. I do seem to remember their name listed on the bill. Anyways, they do have a sound that would fit right in with the Dollyrots.

An over-all great night to support the Rock N’ Roll Camp for Girls.

Melineh Kurdian



EZ Tiger



Lucy Schwartz





Raining Jane





Ingenue



No comments: