Friday, December 31, 2010

Local Bands: Top 10 new to me, though perhaps not new to you 2010 List

Every year that passes, I come across a number of "new" bands. By new, I mean they are new to me. Example of this being: a couple of my friends told me that Rocket has been around for awhile, but I just recently came across them.

Now before I go about with my top 10 favorite new bands list, I should set up the criteria.

1. This is a list of bands that I saw for the first time this year and saw at least twice, except . . .

2. . . . I had to breakdown and add a couple bands that I saw only once in 2010 . . .

3. . . . and a band that I saw once in 2009, but multiple times in 2010.

4. This is alphabetical order, because it just wouldn't work trying to rank these bands/musicians.

Top 8

Cold Cave. I saw this group at FYF. I knew I had to catch them again and did so at a 6th Street Warehouse show as noted in this Intraffik.com article.

Future Ghost. I walked in on the last couple songs of this band and immediately knew I had to check out a full set as soon as the opportunity appeared. I wasn't disappointed.

Lonely Wild. I'm rather sure you'll fall in love with this band.

Lucy Schwartz. Her voice is amazing. The songs constantly pop into your head at random moments. I am constantly trying to convince friends to listen to her music. You can read a little more about her over at Intraffik.com.

Nico Vega. This is one of those bands that if you're into the local music scene you're probably wondering why it took me so long to finally see this band. In my defense, I did hear of them in 2009 -- okay, that isn't all that great either. You can read a little more about a Nico Vega set over at Intraffik.com.

Rocket. This band will drive you wild. An all girl band that gives it their all from start to finish. And of the folks I follow on Twitter, Lauren C is one of my favorites.

Seasons. I was over at Echo Curio one night and saw a set by half of the band. Hooked. Check out this Intraffik.com link for more.

The Like. I have to admit that I wasn't sold on this band when I first saw them. Then I decided to check them out one more time and well . . . Check out this Intraffik.com blog for more.

Exception Top 2: Only Seen Once

Gliss. I have to make an exception for Gliss considering that I was mesmerized by their set. And considering that I was thinking about making a trek out to Pamona until I read that the lead singer got sick must say something about how much I loved this band; therefore, they're listed.

The Submarines. Time passes and I totally have fond memories of their Eagle Rock Music Festival set. Read more at Intraffik.com.


Extra: Saw once in 2009, so the carry-over rule applies as the second time was in 2010

High Life Cavaliers. Punk rock glorious.

Addendum January 19: I didn't realize it until reviewing some older blog entries for an article that will be going up on intraffik.com, but I also first came across Eastern Conference Champions in 2010. I suppose it seems longer as I knew about them in 2009, but it took awhile before I finally caught one of their shows. So I'm now doing this as a Top 11.

No comments: