Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Lonely Wild and Family of the Year at Silverlake Lounge

I have to say I’ve seen some good bands at Silverlake Lounge over the past month. This time around I caught The Lonely Wild and Family of the Year. When I walked in The Lonely Wild were doing their sound check. “There’s some volume in the house.” “Yes, I can hear myself.” “I forgot about Eddie’s vocals.” They got everything worked out and then started out on what turned out to be a most beautiful set. Towards the end of their set, I heard someone yell out “Powerful” a couple times. The band was hitting their time limit and the lead singer wondered if they would be stepping on anyone’s toes by playing their last two songs. The crowd urged them to do so. If Silverlake Lounge had attempted to shut them down, there might have been screams of anger from the audience.

Next up was the residency band for the month, Family of the Year. Both The Lonely Wild and Family of the Year have an unstated folk sound that charms you the more you listen. The lead singer for Family of the Year was very happy about their residency. “It took four years,” I believe I heard him say. They had a couple friends from the band Black Flamingo joining them for their full set. Noticed: The keyboardist had notes piled up on her keyboard. Some fell off. The bassist picked them up during a break and the two exchanged a smile. Noticed 2. The lead singer kept asking the singer from Black Flamingo to hand over a glass of water that was off to the side. Finally, the singer from Black Flamingo had to point out that the glass was empty.

The Lonely Wild







Family of the Year (back-up singing from Black Flamingo)






No comments: