Tuesday, December 29, 2009

News from Glendale

This is a bit of a dated story from Glendale, but sometimes I'm a bit slow in putting things up and things get lost. From the Glendale News Press ("Woman given some more freedom," Veronica Rocha, 4 May 2009): Wheelchair-bound and still recovering from injuries suffered three years ago when she went through a windshield and fell 50 feet into the Los Angeles River, Narine Bagdasaryan on Monday was finally able to leave her house by herself.For the last two years, she has relied entirely on help from her mother and sister.“This is the first time I have ever left the house by myself,” she said. “Now I can do anything on my own.”Bagdasaryan received a brand-new aluminum wheelchair ramp Monday as a donation from TMP Services, a Colton-based company that installs Americans With Disabilities Act-compliant ramps, after her ramps were stolen from outside her home Thursday . . . Three days before Christmas 2006, Bagdasaryan was exiting onto Colorado Street from the northbound Golden State (5) Freeway about 7:50 a.m. when she lost control of her Mercedes-Benz sedan and crossed the offramp’s center median. An oncoming delivery truck hit Bagdasaryan’s car, sending it against the rail. Bagdasaryan, who police said was not wearing her seat belt, went through the windshield and fell 50 feet into the Los Angeles River. Rescuers pulled her out from 2 feet of water.

Why do I bring this up? I remember driving by this scene back then. Actually, I didn't drive by it. I was forced to turn around because the area was closed down by rescue crews.

No comments: