Wednesday, December 16, 2009

The Meeting Places and Mere Mortals at Spaceland

Off to Spaceland I went where I caught The Meeting Places and Mere Mortals. This was a night of shoegaze heaven. I arrived right after the first band ended their set. The DJ began playing Local Natives, he/she put on the whole EP. Awesome.

The Meeting Places took the stage. Around their second song, the bass player asked, "Do you like shoegaze? I like shoegaze." The answer is yes, because The Meeting Places were great. Since the crowd was a bit thin, the bass player encouraged people to come to the front. I didn't understand what he was saying, but he did seem to be trying to sweep away the ghost people in front of the stage so that the real people could come up front. A couple took him up on his offer after he got rid of all the ghost people who were hogging up the front. Everyone else hung in the back, scared that the ghost people would come back.

Mere Mortals were next. They spend most of their set up time decorating the stage in Christmas lights. Towards the end of the set, the lead singer explained as he was pointing to the lights, "We have these year round. It isn't a Christmas thing. It is a Mere Mortals thing."

Anyways, I'd last seen Mere Mortals around March/April when they played with The Mulhollands at Cinespace. I've always wanted to check them out again. I finally did.

I have to make this one note: Spaceland was probably 30-40% filled. Way sad. More folks should check out Mere Mortals. I know they're shoegaze, which isn't really what Mondays are known for at Spaceland, but it is a shame the place wasn't packed. Hopefully, the reason is related to the holiday season.

The Meeting Place





Mere Mortals











No comments: