Wednesday, December 2, 2009

A Movie Review: Whip It!

"Whip It!". This movie is simply unappreciated with its rather pathetic box office of $13 million.

Now first off, I'm a fan of the roller derby. Admittedly, I've only gone to one roller derby contest, but then that is largely driven by the fact that I can't convince my friends to check it out. So I felt drawn to seeing this movie when I first heard about it getting filmed awhile back.

Ellen Page (Bliss Cavendar) is the main character in the movie. It is stated near the start of the movie that to be in the roller derby you need to be 21, but she is only 17. She is able to fake her way onto the team. But it eventually catches up to her when the fire marshals break up a game and her friend is arrested for having an open container of beer. Her parents find out, of course, and all-you-know-what breaks loose. I felt what occurred next was an honest portrayal of family life and makes this movie so much more than just a roller derby movie. Bliss blows up at her parents, telling them off, really hurting their feelings. And yet at the same time you can empathize with Bliss (though perhaps not with her tactics), because her mom was either trying to live her life again through Bliss or perhaps trying to plan out a life for Bliss. I thought is was just wonderfully played out.

As for the roller derby action? It was great seeing some roller derby action since it's been awhile since I last saw a roller derby. What I thought was great was the minor detail towards the end of the movie where both derby teams circled the track, giving fans hand slaps. I thought that was a great little add to the movie, because it is something I remember enjoying doing when I went -- giving the girls props for the night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Whip it is a side-splitting comedy drama directed by Drew Barrymore. This movie is about the life of a former beauty pageant participant, Bliss. She gives up the desire to be the beauty pageant and makes up her mind to leaves her crowns behind after she joins a roller-derby squad. You can download Whip It movie from this website...