Monday, December 7, 2009

Derby Dolls: Tough Cookies vs. The Swarm

I finally found some friends who wanted to go see a Derby Dolls match. Luckily, we went to the championship game between the Tough Cookies and The Swarm. What fun.

The Swarm came in with a 4-0 record while the Tough Cookies were 3-1. I believe The Swarm had won their matches by an average of 30 points (or close to that).

Observations pre-game. The Swarm likes to show some flair. When they were gathered in the middle of the track for their prep talk, they were spread out in a near perfect circle on their elbows. During their introduction, they were in a perfect pack. And honestly, they have the cooler uniforms. The Tough Cookies were much more casual throughout the whole pre-game.

The Swarm also had a fan base section that cheered throughout and were dressed in yellow. And they had a mascot.

During the game. So I soon found myself cheering for the Tough Cookies. I wasn't sure who to cheer for since this was only my second time at a derby match, but since the Tough Cookies are from Los Angeles and The Swarm are from San Diego, I went with my city allegiance.

I don't remember all the details so please don't slam me if I get my facts wrong. The first quarter was tight with both sides taking the lead a couple times. In the second quarter, the Tough Cookies had a sizable lead. The best jam of the game was the last jam of the second quarter.

There was a thirty minute halftime break and then started the 3rd quarter. The Swarm quickly made up the deficit and took a small lead. It went back and forth for awhile until late in the 4th quarter. Due to some penalties, the Tough Cookies got a power jam along with a two person advantage in the pack. The Tough Cookies' jammer broke through three times and racked up 15 points. This pushed the Tough Cookies into a sizable lead and essentially ended the match. The final score was 107-91 (or somewhere in that range).

Totally awesome night. No photos, because cameras aren't allowed. Anyways, my hero of the night is Laguna Beyatch of the Tough Cookies. Gori Spelling and (I believe) Krissy Krash also rocked.

For The Swarm, I think it was Sarkastika who was the scary jammer -- meaning, "Oh no, they're about to score some points."

Interesting article in the LA Times about Derby Doll fashion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The tough cookies are the team I root for. A girl I used to write with is on the team. The Derby Doll I interviewed once is on that team. Their jammer is a huge Automatic Music Explosion fan and one of their team members listens to Pu$$y-Cow to get pumped up for the bout. - Joe