Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Vacation in Vancouver

I went on vacation to Vancouver recently. I spent three full days there. It is a very beautiful city.



First off; however, I took the LA transit system to LAX. From the Metro Blue Line I passed by the Staples Center. You can kind of see a sea of people in near the Staples Center. No, this is not a LA Lakers game. The LA Marathon was going on.



Interesting note on the transit system. I had to take a bus to the red line. There was a guy on the red line who was reading a book. Someone sat next to him and the guy started to curse up a storm. I also saw him waiting on for the blue line. I found it interesting how you can find yourself going in the same direction with someone else. (This actually happened again when going from the airport to my home. I found myself heading all the way to the red line with a mother and her daughter.)


One of the first places I visited in Vancouver was Granville Island. I enjoyed the place, but had a chuckle when I saw some South American musicians playing wood flutes. I couldn't help but think, "Perhaps Universal Studios has bought Granville Island and just hasn't changed the name to CityWalk Vancouver."








On Granville Island there was a food market. The way the fruits were displayed reminded me of my time in Japan.







This is an Indian restaurant I ate at. The meal cost me about $18 US. I found this a bit on the high end for what I got.







This is the view from Queen Elizabeth Park.







The park has a conservatory. The following are a couple photos from the place.











Here a few more photos taken from Queen Elizabeth Park.















I couldn't help but try and find the local music scene in Vancouver. I ended up at the Media Club one night. I'll be writing a column on my experience at intraffik.com.







This is a view from my hotel room. Beautiful. My days largely went like this: I'd head out between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. I'd stay out till between 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. I'd sit back, open the sliding door, let the fresh air come in and watch the various NBA playoff games. I'd then head out at around 9 p.m. and stay out till 1 a.m. or 2 a.m.





Four views from Lynn Canyon.














Here's another restaurant I discovered. It is a raw food restaurant. Let's just say, the food had no taste. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't great and it did something awful to my stomach.



Another night out at a place called Railway.




The following three photos are from Stanley Park.




It is over an 8 kilometer walk around Stanley Park. I wasn't planning on taking the walk, but I ended up doing it anyways. At some point, you just got to keep going. The reason is that there are no trails that cut through the park. One reason is that there are cliffs along part of the pathway. If you click on the below picture you can notice a young lady walking in the distance with a backpack. The following makes me a bit sexist I suppose, I decided if she was walking around the park parimeter, I was going to do so, as well. Since I'm on a roll with a bit of sexism, I may as well go with some ageism. There were 50 or 60 year olds just walking right past me at times. I couldn't help but think, "These Canadians are fit. What's up with these old folks speed walking past me."









Vancouver is excited about the coming winter Olympics.



My plane ride back. On the way to Vancouver, the plane was packed. There must have been only three empty seats. On the flight back, I don't think there were more than 20 of us on a plane that probably carries around 70.




Back on the metro in LA. Someone's note about their mother.



No comments: