Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Local Natives and Castledoor at Spaceland



Monday night at Spaceland. I have certain music addictions when it comes to the local music scene. There’s the addiction to The Mulhollands and Automatic Music Explosion. You may as well toss in IO Echo and Great Northern. I'll stop there less I bore you with a long list of bands.

I’ve recently developed a new addiction and they’re called Local Natives. I first came across Local Natives during their Silverlake Lounge residency based on the advice of a friend. From the start, I was enthralled with their vocal harmonies and great melodies. Even though I loved their sound, I didn't catch another one of their sets until this week at Spaceland. For some reason, I randomly decided to check out the Spaceland calendar and realized that they were playing along side the Monday night residency band, Castledoor. For sure, I was going.

A comment I often get when I start talking to folks about Local Natives: Isn't that a bit redundant, Local Natives. I can't deny it, but then I don't really have an answer.

About the Local Natives set. I must say I loved it. I convinced three friends to come along and they also seemed to enjoy it -- though perhaps they were just being nice towards my feelings. The one disappointment was that they didn't have their violinist along. The violinist just adds a bit extra. I was told that for their August residency they expect to have the violinist return on occasion. There was a nice fan base lined up along the stage. The fans danced like crazies.



It was a steam room in Spaceland. I’ve been to Spaceland enough to know that it gets hot inside, but that night seemed specifically heated.

Castledoor. Castledoor has an interesting two keyboard set-up. This was the first time I’d seen them perform. I got more and more into the set as it progressed.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey vivace,

just read your article over at intraffik. never feel bad about leaving early. i work a 9-5er and i can't stay out too late either. the residency took a huge toll on me because it wasn't just a random one time during the week late night gig but a month of them. i've been tired all month. joepcow

Notes from Vivace said...

joepcow,

I was planning on seeing your last show at kibitz but couldn't get myself out the door. of course, it didn't help that I'd finished up a one hour plus exercising session.