Sunday, June 28, 2009

This one's for you Melody G: Switchfoot

A number of us left on a rented bus from Glendale at around 8:30 a.m. on a Saturday. Our destination was the Switchfoot Bro Am at Encinitas. I fell asleep around City of Commerce and the next thing I noticed we were in Encinitas.

When we got to the beach we started to set up our tent. We got into an argument with someone who had a tent nearby and decided to take our tent elsewhere. We actually found a better location.

Soon afterwards, the music started. Some of the bands I'd like to highlight are:

The Howls rocked the beach.



Everyone in The New Archaic are under twenty-one. They were energetic to the core.



Tristan Prettyman had a laugh at the beginning of her set. She was introduced as having just come off of a world tour. From what I could figure out by listening to her comments, she was actually just taking a vacation in Bali and ended up doing a couple sets there. However, she is going on tour in England so I guess her world tour is upcoming.


After Tristan Prettyman, Switchfoot came onstage. I read a twitter feed that said there were about 8,000 people there. I was probably twelve rows back from the stage so it is hard for me to verify that number -- not that I'm good at estimating those things. It was crowded as can be seen by the below photo.




As the sound check started, I remember a friend of mine saying how he liked sound checks done behind a curtain. He felt it created an atmosphere of mystery. I disagreed, saying I liked seeing it done out in the open. I still have to disagree. It wasn't Switchfoot doing the sound checks. Others were doing it. I just loved seeing them setting and checking everything.

The crowd was really pumped to see Switchfoot. They did a ten song set. The list is below:

Stars
Oh! Gravity
Gone
This is Your Life
Mess with Me
Bullet Soul
Awakening
Meant to Live
Dare You to Move
I Won't Back Down (cover)

I have to admit I'm not the biggest Switchfoot fan. I've obviously heard of Switchfoot. That said, it was an enjoyable set. It was sort of a greatest hits set, which is great for someone like me who basically knows Switchfoot via their radio hits.







They introduced a new song called "Bullet Soul," which I'll assume will be on their new record. I'll say it was rather good.

Interesting side: their lead singer, Jon, had fun taking various items from the audience: hats, glasses, cameras. He'd wear the hats and glasses for awhile. He also grabbed a couple cameras, taking photos of the audience.

I believe for three songs, they had some guest musicians. A saxophone player played on two songs. The lead singer from The Howls and another guy played on the cover song along with the saxophone player.

There were some artists doing some painting to the side of the stage.

















Over-all, a great time. I also slept a significant amount of the time as we headed back to Glendale. Me and sleep.

No comments: