Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Los Angeles Lakers Parade!!!

A friend and I took the Red Line from Western and Hollywood. There was an e-mail question put out there regarding getting a $5 day pass. We didn't do it. At the ticket machine, a group of fellow fans were having a similar debate on getting a day pass. They were considering walking from the parade route to the Coliseum. They had a similar plan as I did, which ultimately failed.

We met up with some other friends around 23rd street. Below is the pre-parade crowd.



A couple Lakers flags. The high flying makes me think about an ancient military battle field where victors are hailed after a long fight.



The police were constantly going up and down Figueroa. From what I could see, people were well behaved -- except for one stupid move by a large group of people.



The first sign of the Lakers.



Here are the fire engines with the cheerleaders.



So those firemen are lucky, no?



Here we go.



Close up shot.



More closeup shots.



A very closeup shot of a cheerleader. I think she's looking directly at the camera don't you think? I quickly figured out that when I tried doing super closeup shots, the vehicles were moving way to quickly to capture a perfect shot.



The band.



The band again.



A final cheerleader.



Here come the players.



Gasol saying we're number one.



I think Kareem is looking directly at the camera.



Farmar talking to someone.



I think Kobe is looking directly at the camera, as well.



Kobe and family. And the mayor off to the side.



The crowd heading on an unfulfilled march towards the Coliseum.



Crossing an overpass. Fans were screaming. Cars were honking horns.



A car showing all out support.



Okay, here's where you have stupid people trying to walk onto the freeway. There should have been some police at this entrance. Oh well.



My view of the Coliseum.



I always thought these people only hung out at the AIDS Walk. Just kidding.



I think for the most part, the police were cool as well as the fans.



Hey, if you couldn't get into the Coliseum, why not catch what you can on the television.



This was an over-all great day even though I couldn't get into the Coliseum. I guess it was closed down by 10 a.m. The last times the Lakers won, I saw the parade on Figueroa and then just walked to the Staples Center and when everyone got settled there was still some space for additions fans. I guess this one was much more popular.

Interesting: Councilwoman Jan Perry was complaining about how the city had no money for a parade. The costs were covered by private donations and the LA Lakers. But when I was watching the Coliseum ceremony later in the day via DVR, I couldn't help but notice she was doing the pre-Lakers celebration warm-ups. Politicians do love the attention even if they have initial reservations about something.

No comments: