Monday, June 15, 2009

The Monthlies after an ArtWalk

Art District (Edgar Varela Fine Arts) to see The Monthlies. This was one of those strange nights. A friend told me about this night. I checked in with her before heading out to see if she was still going out. She didn’t end up coming. I half thought about leaving once I was given the news, but I figured that since I was already there I might as well catch one band before taking off. The band I saw was The Monthlies. This is a four piece band. They have a smooth, melodic rock feel to them. The guitar player is the front woman who does the song introductions and provides the little stories versus the lead singer taking the lead. One little tidbit she told, “Don’t worry if I start bleeding. I just had an accident with my cat. Don’t ask.” She also mentioned that one of their songs was going to be used by True Blood as soon as they recorded it.


As for the location. It was off on the east side of Downtown Los Angeles. It was an interesting location. There was an art gallery on the top floor – nothing massive. The bands played outside, behind the back of the building. Just a bit down the street, the late night shift of warehouse workers were getting product ready to ship. The crowd was definitely an art crowd – it was after an ArtWalk.

No comments: