Saturday, June 27, 2009

Chase Freedom Visa Credit Card

My Chase Freedom Visa credit card terms got changed for the worse recently. If you are unfamiliar with the Chase Freedom credit care, it is a rewards based credit card. Before the terms changed, the rewards were very generous.



Here's what was so cool about my Chase Freedom Visa credit card:



1. I earned 1% cash back on all purchases.

2. I earned triple cash back rewards on specific spending categories such as food purchases.

3. After earning $200, I could cash it in and get $250.



I recently got a letter from Chase that highlights the changes.



First they start off with the good news: Earn 1% cash back every day, everywhere, on all purchases with no caps or expiration dates.



My comment: No caps or expiration dates, that sounds good.



Then comes the bad news: The triple cash back rewards you earn on Everyday spending categories will no longer be available. However, there will be opportunities to earn 3% cash back in new spending categories throughout the year.



My comment: The new opportunities will probably be something like -- if you buy a new Canon camera in the next week, we'll give you 3% cash back. I'm betting these opportunities will have some random purchase attached that very few people will use.



Then even more bad news (cushioned with some good news): Continue to redeem for checks, which now start at $50. Note: The $50 bonus when redeeming $200 in Cash Back Rewards will no longer be available after June 30th.



All good things come to an end eventually.

No comments: