Sunday, July 24, 2016

A Book Review: Identical by Scott Turow

Identical by Scott Turow. I have to say I'm disappointed by this book. I've loved the other books I've read by Scott Turow, but I just can't say that about this book. Why? The identity of the killer was rather obvious. There are only a handful of characters in the book. Almost within a couple chapters, I was 90% sure of who the killer was. Also, the book happens during the housing crisis of 2008. To me, it has nearly no impact on the book even though it is discussed. It feels like Turow wants to discuss greed, but it feels like an unnecessary side story.

The book switches back and forth between 1983 and 2008 though the main focus is on 2008. In 1983, we get flashbacks to the day the murder happened. In 2008, we have the current day events. It focuses in on two twins: Paul Gianis and Cass Gianis. Cass is being released from a 25-year sentence in jail for the murder of his girlfriend, Dita Kronon. In comes Hal Kronon, who was Dita's brother. He is convinced that Paul had something to do with his sister's murder. Hal sends two of his employees, Evon Miller and Tim Brodie, to dig back into the case. They uncover more than they expect.

I do have to admit there are some interesting twists and turns. One of the twists will almost make you vomit. So Turow has his touch of giving you unexpected story lines; however, as stated above I just think the number one twist is just too obvious.



No comments: