Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Movie Review: Lovely Bones

"Lovely Bones". I enjoyed this movie until it came to the ending. This movie kept my attention. I was drawn to the struggles of the father (Mark Wahlberg). Stanley Tucci (George Harvey) was great as a sexual predator/serial murderer. I couldn’t even tell it was him for awhile. I wish that the Abigail Salmon (Rachel Weisz) character was drawn a bit better since I’m a Rachel Weisz fan. Michael Imperioli played a sympathetic detective who had little to go on, but was more than willing to sympathize with the family.

SPOILERS

I thought this movie was well acted, but my problem was with the ending. I thought it was a big letdown. George Harvey dumps Susie’s body in the sink hole (she’s stuffed inside a security safe.) There are witnesses to this. At the time, the witnesses don’t realize he’s the murderer, but they eventually found out (not in the movie). One of the last scenes is of the sink hole being covered up. Shouldn’t one of the last scenes be of individuals trying to recover the security safe? And as for George Harvey’s death . . . I’m sure it was meant to symbolize something, but I found it a bit unrealistic.

I guess because of my disappointment with the ending, I have to give this movie only a mild recommendation. I was all into this movie. I didn’t even notice the time passing and then the ending just didn’t sit well with me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rachel Weisz had a lot of her scenes cut out of the film. There was much more story with her character.

Notes from Vivace said...

Thanks for the comment. Too bad her storyline was cut down.

Anonymous said...

Peter Jackson cut a good amount of the family's scenes out of the film, which was bad decision on his part.

Notes from Vivace said...

You have a point. I think he went with a montage look. The grandmother preparing food, cleaning. The mother (Rachel Weisz) crying as the father lets out his anger.