Saturday, February 20, 2010

A Movie Review: The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus. I need to admit straight off that I didn't fully understand this movie. I think I understand the basic plots. Doctor Parnassus (Christopher Plummer) makes a deal with Mr. Nick (Tom Waits), aka The Devil. The deal is for eternal life as well as the ability to provide individuals with a universe of unlimited imagination. Centuries later, Doctor Parnassus runs into a beautiful young lady. Parnassus and Mr. Nick make a deal: Parnassus will gain his youth back, but if he has a daughter she will be Mr. Nick's at the age of 16. Parnassus' wife gets pregnant at an advanced age and has a daughter. The movie starts with Valentina (Lily Cole) three days away from turning sixteen. Tony (Heath Ledger) also shows up in the movie, rescued by Parnassus' troupe.

SPOILERS, IN A WAY.

I get the idea that Mr. Nick actually likes Parnassus and has no desire to take away his daughter. He instead just wants to cause Parnassus to worry. A little torment is his game.

I'm not sure, but I think in the end Tony is the good guy that helps make sure that Valentina does not become the possession of Mr. Nick.

There are some wonderful visuals here, but then so does 'Lovely Bones'.

What I don't get is: Was this a movie of great brilliance or great disappointment. It is so artfully done I doubt myself and wonder if my confusion regarding this movie is driven by my lack of a liberal arts background. Who knows.

No comments: