Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Day of the Outlaw and Spider Problem @ American Legion Hall in Highland Park

After an early evening going away party for a friend I met eight years ago, I headed off to the American Legion Hall to catch a couple bands.

There were a handful of friends that I ran into there.

First band I saw was Day of the Outlaw.





The last band was Spider Problem. This was the first time I saw them since they got a new guitarist. Watching the band, I realized that except for Shayne, all the band members are new when compared to when I first saw them way back when. I obviously knew this before hand, but it strikes you harder when you see them on stage.

As for my friends, one friend admitted she'd never seen Spider Problem. She was quizzed about this fact. "Spider Problem played at Redwood." "Spider Problem played at Juanita's that one night." "No, I wasn't there."

I didn't see the first two bands, but I can't help but think that Spider Problem was the main draw of the night. Not to knock Day of the Outlaw, but for their set folks stayed rather far from the stage. For Spider Problem, folks crowded the stage area.

As the band was about to start playing, one of their friends said: No punching today. Can we agree on that?

Shayne replied: Yes, no fighting today. If you were at L'Keg and were fighting, please go home.

The L'Keg show must have been interesting.

Their first song had a Mazzy Star feel to it and then from there they were their wild self. Before their last song, Shayne whispered to all her band mates. I don't think anyone in the audience knew this, but that was going to be their last song. I'm not sure of the exact title name, but the words 'I'm losing out' were sung. As she was singing this, Shayne and the guitarist were trying to push each other off to the side. Shayne lost.

I couldn't help but wonder if Shayne was feeling ill towards the end of her set. She grabbed her stomach at one point. I don't know if she was part of her motions or if she had suddenly come down with something.

No bloody knee caps this time around.









No comments: