Thursday, February 25, 2010

Castledoor and Princeton @ Spaceland

This is actually one of those nights where I would normally do a write-up on intraffik.com, but I've already given mention to Castledoor in one of my columns and I'm not sure I really should repeat myself. (I have repeated myself in the past, but I do try to limit my repeats.)

I got to Spaceland at around 9:40 p.m. I walked in without much of a wait. When I got inside; however, the place was crowded. Two of my friends were on their way and I sent out text messages to them. They didn't arrive in time and were stuck waiting in line. They eventually decided to leave instead of waiting it out.

Why the crowd? I believe it was partially driven by the fact that Castledoor is breaking up. This was their last set. Did I know this? No. I can't say I'm one of their biggest fans, because this was only the second time I'd seen them.

Here's a conversation I over-heard: "I'm the biggest fan." "No, I'm the biggest fan." "He's the tallest fan."

Lead singer Nate said at the start of their set, "Just to let you know we have nothing special to give away tonight." They're known for handing out special gifts like the first time I saw them they handed out CDs they'd made of a Bob Dylan cover song they'd just recorded.

Comments from Nate: "If there is ac maybe we can get the ac going." "The fate of our band is hanging in the balance." From the audience, "Don't break up." "We've never been a cool band. I mean, we think we're cool, but we're somewhere between Radiohead and Jonas Brothers. We're in that strange space all by ourselves."

A bitter sweet set for Castledoor, I'm sure. I think they must have walked off the stage with a smile; however, because they received one of the loudest and longest cheers I've ever heard from the Spaceland crowd.

They also were holding a $1 sale on their CDs and t-shirts. A mob was around their table.








Princeton was the residency band. Intraffik just posted a column on their recent album release.

The band has a set of twins so there were a handful of twin jokes.

Comment: "We're starting with a song that starts out slow put it picks up."

Noticed: For one song, the drummer took over bass duties.





For the last song, Princeton called for people to join them up on stage and dance away. People were more than willing to dance with them.



Fun night at Spaceland even though I was once again stuck there by myself (previous one being the Hockey night where a friend failed to show).

No comments: