Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A movie review: Knowing

A bit dated on the movie review, but oh well . . .

Knowing. This is a film that has an awesome beginning, middle and then . . . I wish the last ten minutes were written differently. Spoilers from now on:


Some random thoughts:


Why are the mysterious aliens so creepy? They're here to help save a part of humanity and yet they're just scaring people.


Those ships at the end reminded me of the Mars structure in Watchmen.


The tree at the end of the movie reminded me of the Biblical Garden of Eden.


My reaction:


As mentioned, I thought that most of the movie was fascinating. The assumption that life is pre-ordained and that trying to change it is useless provided a great premise. The movie doesn't cope out from its initial assumption. John Koestler cannot prevent disasters from occurring. Diana Wayland's death cannot be prevented.


What I hated were the last ten minutes or so. The whole rescue of humanity by these aliens that were rather creepy. And what did they do, they took children and dropped them off on a new planet. And they didn't group all the kids together. No, they dropped them off in different locations, probably a few miles away from each other. And does this represent a new Eden? If so, that would surely be destroyed in short order. Kids do not represent purity. They will grow up. They will have disagreements with others. And what, kids are just supposed to survive on their own, even if they find themselves on a pleasant planet?


Unfortunately, I thought this movie had a great start and middle, and then self-destructed with a rather silly ending.


Is it still worth seeing? I think it depends on rather or not you consider the ending plausible (taking into account that this is sci fi.) For me, I could have skipped this one.

No comments: