Thursday, May 14, 2009

Pu$$y Cow @ Juanita's with Beatmo and Bobot Audrenaline

This is one of those blogs I should have written the very next day after the event, but life sometimes gets too busy. Pu$$y Cow at Juanita's occurred this past Saturday night. It was Pu$$y Cow's 4th year anniversary. I do think that Pu$$y Cow is one of the few bands that celebrates their anniversaries. And each year, it is a night you don't want to miss. Not only because of the band, but because it is one of those special nights where everyone seems to know each other -- sort of like Cheers.

When I first walked into Juanita's, I noticed two things. First, they had the corner door locked, while the door parallel to York was open. It the past it was the opposite. Second, the stage was removed. I guess these moves were done to try and quiet down the music for the neighbors. I believe I mentioned in a previous blog how I'd hate to live in the area due to the sound that carries out from the place. Any moves they do to help out the neighbors ability to sleep at a decent hour must be appreciated.

The night started out with Beatmo. The last time I saw Beatmo was probably a year ago. It was awesome to see them again. What stands out in my mind wasn't the music, but what happened before they went on stage. The lead singer came right up to me and said, "Nice to see you again." It wasn't just me, of course. She went up to a number of people she knew and said hello. She has a very friendly outgoing style. Beatmo did have a first for the night. They had to go onstage without the lead singer's brother -- they mentioned they'd never done this before. Beatmo has a Latin flair to their music. The lead singer embodies this, dancing throughout the set. She dances and the crowd dances with her.

Stab City was supposed to go on stage next, but they had to cancel.


Bobot Adrenaline was next up. They're a three piece band. I always find Cory the most interesting character in the band. He's always moving around. Sometimes when other bands are playing their sets, he'll play around with their set lists. And well, he's a big Green Day fan. One time I was listening to some songs he had recorded and I swear I though I was listening to Green Day.




To end the night, Pu$$y Cow came on stage. Rob Z introduced them. They started off the night with a cover of Thin Lizzy's "Boy's are back in town." When their set ended, the soundtrack from the Olympics played while people chanted, "Four more years." What happened inbetween? The crowd was jumping. It got to the point, where Joe had to ask the men to calm down a bit, because they were getting in the way of the band and causing the girls some issues. The girls must have appreciated this, because as soon as the guys calmed down a bit, the girls came up front and started going wild. During one cover song, Chissum needed a cheat sheet. Joe made the comment, "What is that?" Someone from the audience decided to mess with the cheat sheet, but that was stopped quick enough.



If I'd written this up sooner, I probably could have written up a bit more but unfortunately work and other issues came up and so the brain is a bit clouded. Oh well . . .

No comments: